About the Company:
Surface Ophthalmics is a pharmaceutical company focused on development and commercialization of innovative therapeutics for ocular diseases. Our current drug pipeline, all of which use a patented delivery vehicle, consists of three proprietary drug candidates for the treatment of: i) mild to moderate dry eye disease (DED), ii) acute DED, and iii) pain and inflammation for patients recovering from ocular surgical procedures. Together our product candidates address a multibillion-dollar market in the U.S and around the world. We are a start-up company with a small, closely-knit team. As we grow our programs and operational complexity, we are adding key positions to support our business.
Surface is headquartered in Pleasanton, California and offers a hybrid office & home work environment for most positions. The people at Surface are a dedicated, fun, and caring group to work with. We value initiative, collaboration, transparency, integrity and a drive for achieving our common objectives.
About the Opportunity:
The corporate controller is a hand-on role that requires direct involvement in all financial activities as the Company continues to grow. This role will report to Surface’s CFO.
- Responsible for the day-to-day accounting operations including G/L, cash management, A/P, and banking
- Manage the general ledger, including month-end close activities and preparation of monthly US GAAP financial statements and variance analysis for balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows
- Prepare and review monthly, quarterly, and annual consolidated financial reporting package and related schedules
- Assist CFO in fundraising activities and IPO readiness matters
- Implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures to ensure the highest level of efficiency and customer service while maintaining appropriate internal controls and compliance with accounting standards
- Participate in budgeting, forecasting and day-to-day management of department budgets and variance analysis, as well as ad hoc analyses
- Maintain equity database for all stock transactions and coordinate the completion of stock valuation report for new option grants in compliance with ASC 718 and IRC 409A rules
- Liaise with auditors and tax providers to provide information for annual audit and taxes
- Coordinate, plan and execute the financial statement audit and interim/quarterly reviews
- Research, analyze, and conclude on new and proposed accounting pronouncements, reporting and disclosure standards and prepare memorandums regarding the Company’s analysis
- Interview, hire and develop other accounting team members
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience
- Public company/SEC and start-up experience preferred
- 2-5 years in public accounting would be a strong differentiator
- Hands-on experience building out the accounting function for a high-growth company
- Strong level of ownership, accountability and drive for exceeding expectations with a great sense of accuracy and ability to perform well under pressure
- Maturity in dealing with executive leadership and demonstrated ability to influence business partners at all levels
- Ability to listen, interpret, influence, negotiate, inspire and respectfully challenge
- Detailed knowledge of US GAAP and SOX internal controls
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business
- CPA preferred
What’s in it for you:
Our employees enjoy benefits that make them more productive and contribute directly to the development of their professional skills. We want to be able to attract the best of the best and make sure they keep getting better. On top of an exciting and intellectually challenging workplace, we are offering:
- Work in a highly dynamic industry with a company focused on innovative science
- A hybrid home/office work schedule
- Collegial and supportive colleagues in a fun environment where personal development and success are high priorities
- Competitive medical / dental / vision packages
- 401K with company match
Surface is an equal opportunity employer. We want applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please send your resume and brief cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.